- This event has passed.
Advancing Family Engagement in Libraries: A PLA Professional Development Series
Tuesday, September 14, 2021
Based on the Public Library Association’s Family Engagement framework, this professional development series will enable public library professionals to expand and refine their current family engagement programming and strategies and plan for new programs and services. Each cohort of this series will consist of eight virtual classroom sessions, each led by experienced facilitators from the PLA Family Engagement Task Force. Participants will also engage in small-group work and facilitated discussions with their peers. NOTE: We strongly encourage teams to apply. Each member of the team must complete the form individually.
To make the most of each hour-long virtual classroom session, participants will be asked to complete work outside of virtual sessions. This includes reading supplemental materials in advance of sessions like portions of PLA’s Ideabook and working on a final project. Each participating library, not registrant, will be required to submit a final project. This project can be either a written proposal or virtual presentation. This work will help participants assess their current programming and services and make plans for future activity. Each participating library will also be required to submit a final project. This work should amount to no more than two hours per week outside of class time.
Participants who attend all sessions and submit a final project will receive a certificate of completion for the series, amounting to 8.5 contact hours.
Below are the dates for all 8 virtual classroom sessions and the tentative final project session:
- What is Family Engagement? And the Case for Family Engagement in Libraries, Tuesday, September 14, 2021
- Using the PLA Family Engagement Framework, Tuesday, October 5, 2021
- Reach Out and Raise Up, Tuesday, October 26, 2021
- Reinforcing Family Actions to Support Learning: The Early Years and School-Age Children, Tuesday, November 9, 2021
- Reinforcing Family Actions to Support Lifelong Learning and Relating, Tuesday, November 30, 2021
- Reimagining Partnership and Support Services, Tuesday, December 14, 2021
- Leadership and Promoting Your Family Engagement Vision, Tuesday, January 4, 2022
- Wrap Up and Assessment Session, Tuesday, January 25, 2022
- Tentative Final Project Session, Tuesday, March 22, 2022
CALL SPONSORED: In order to gain the most impact from learning events sponsored by the CALL grant, we ask that all participants engage fully (attend, participate, discuss and share). If you are unable or not willing to agree to this, please be kind and leave a seat or place for someone else.