- This event has passed.
Cultural Humility in Public Libraries: Colleagues & Customers
Tuesday, October 12, 2021
Are you curious about the term cultural humility? At its root, cultural humility requires one to acknowledge inequality and take action. This online course will introduce cultural humility as a concept for professional practice. We will focus on your role as colleague and as a professional and will link the concepts of cultural humility to librarianship. We will explore personal identity and culture. We will also examine how culture and identity translate to a deliberate practice of cultural humility in the workplace.
By the end of the course learners will be able to:
- Define cultural humility and cultural competence
- Name three ways to implement cultural humility in your interactions with colleagues
- Name three ways to implement cultural humility in your interactions with clients or patrons
- Describe three ways inequality impacts library communities
- Write an action plan to adopt cultural humility as a colleague
- Complete an identity timeline walk to facilitate identity reflection
- Create an identity collage as a way to examine their identity and reflect on how cultural identity shapes worldviews
- Identify one short term goal and one long term goal for your practice of cultural humility with colleagues and patrons
Presented by :: Xan Goodman
CALL SPONSORED: In order to gain the most impact from learning events sponsored by the CALL grant, we ask that all participants engage fully (attend, participate, discuss and share). If you are unable or not willing to agree to this, please be kind and leave a seat or place for someone else.