- This event has passed.
Performance Appraisals That Work
Wednesday, December 1, 2021 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Most managers or supervisors find writing employee performance appraisals one of their most dreaded tasks. They understandably complain about numerous factors that compromise the effectiveness of the appraisal-writing process. Appraisals might be irrelevant to the position or the employee. They often are incomplete or imprecise. They tend to be disingenuous or subjective. The process is time consuming. Most importantly, appraisals may fail to move the business. As a result, the appraisal process runs the risk of being reduced to “smile sheets” for little more than bureaucratic record-keeping purposes. Appraisal writers need tools to make their evaluations real to themselves and their staff.
Performance Appraisals That Work enables business professionals to compose employee evaluations with a practical system regardless of their field. This webinar shows you how to plan, draft, and review appraisals to align with your organizational mission and objectives. Your appraisals will be complete, organized, practical, and fluent to help your staff know their strengths, challenges, and next steps in cultivating their career. You will have a standard for writing all employee appraisals that you can use time and again.
This webinar centers the learning points around these five principles:
- Draw from the values – framing appraisals within the organizational mission and values.
- Get divergent viewpoints – making appraisals a key part of the workplace culture.
- Focus on the employee – creating employee-centric appraisals.
- Integrate the skills – crafting relevant, comprehensive, and useful appraisals.
- Write plainly – using language that results in valid and reliable appraisals.
Attending this webinar will enable you to:
- Approach performance appraisal-writing with a focused plan.
- Develop appraisals that support the employee assessment.
- Separate ideas based on the key elements of any core area.
- Detail appraisal points thoroughly, accurately, and consistently.
Philip Vassallo, Ed.D. has developed, delivered, and supervised in-person and online communication training programs to more than 25,000 administrative, technical, managerial, and executive professionals throughout the world representing a wide range of disciplines in corporate, government, and academic environments. He has taught on the college and graduate levels internationally, edited major reports for Fortune 500 companies, and evaluated essays and speeches for standardized tests. He is the author of three books and numerous articles on work-related writing. His blog Words on the Line has been a valuable source for many of his clients. Dr. Vassallo holds a B.A. in English, an M.S. in education, and a doctorate in educational theory. He is a past president of a state college English association and has donated his communication talents to several nonprofit human services organizations.
This webinar is sponsored by CALL for California library staff. Register to attend live or visit the CALL Academy one week after delivery for a recording.