Technology in Libraries
Are you looking to move ahead in the library profession or better understand the role of technology within the library? Would you like to increase your understanding and boost your confidence of technology and how it integrates into the library?
Designed as a practical look at technology today, this course will help attendees grow more confident in utilizing hardware and software to deliver users’ services and save time and effort in their daily tasks.
This interactive 6-week course, which satisfies all of the Library Support Staff Certification (LSSC) competency areas for technology, includes:
- Common technologies and e-resources in libraries
- How to use technology to succeed
- Cybersecurity, privacy, and other current issues
- How to assist users with technology
- Innovative technology
- How to troubleshoot and learn new technologies on your own without being overwhelmed
By the end of this course learners will:
- Know the general trends and developments in technology applications for library functions and services.
- Know the role and responsibility of libraries for introducing relevant applications of technology, including digital literacy, to the public.
- Know basic principles and best practices to ensure the integrity of data and the confidentiality of user activities.
- Know concepts and issues concerning the appropriate use of technology by different user groups.
- Demonstrate flexibility in adapting to new technology.
- Be able to assist and train users to operate public equipment, connect to the internet, use library software applications, and access library services from remote locations.
- Know role of technology in creating, identifying, retrieving, and accessing information resources and demonstrate facility with appropriate information discovery tools.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of technical problems and resolve or refer those problems as appropriate.
- Access and use basic assistive technologies, where appropriate, to ensure that all users have equitable access to technology
Course Description: This interactive 6-week course will be presented asynchronously with the integration of readings, video, discussion forums, online meetings and assignment options. The instructor will be accessible to assist attendees as needed. Leaners will be provided with essential resources, best practices, and useful tips and techniques that can be applied immediately in their library.
Library Support Staff Certification (LSSC): This course is approved as covering the Foundations of Library Services competencies for the LSSC program.