- This event has passed.
Tell a Compelling Story About the Value of Your Library
October 29, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
We are sorry to say, all slots have been filled at this time. If you are interested in being put on a wait list or if you have any other questions, please contact Christine Bolivar at email@example.com.
Most people who work in libraries know what they do and why it matters. However, knowing isn’t enough. To demonstrate our value and make connections with potential partners, stakeholders, users, and funders, we need good data, a captivating story, and the skills to keep people listening. We need to tell the right story to the right person at the right time.
All workshops will be delivered via two, two-hour, Zoom sessions:
- The first two-hour session will focus on how to construct a story.
- In between the first and second session, attendees will be tasked with picking a stakeholder and drafting a story.
- In the second two-hour session, the focus switches to learning how to tell your story and practicing.
Workshops will be facilitated by Cheryl Gould and are part of the California State Library’s Value of Libraries project, which is supported with California Library Services Act funding.
The Value of Libraries project has collected research, data, and anecdotes to help libraries tell their stories. Whether your audience cares about literacy, social justice, education, community-building, vulnerable populations, or economic development there is research to back up the return on investment that libraries provide.
- The training is open to California public library staff.
- Participants are expected to attend both sessions.
- Each two-part training will be limited to 15 people to allow time for interaction, sharing, and questions.
- Registration is first come, first served. If spaces fill up quickly and we have multiple registrations from individual libraries, we may ask those libraries to limit their registrations.
- If the group you would prefer to join isn’t meeting when you’re available, please feel free to select a different group.
Group 1: Combination of library types
- Thursdays, October 29 and November 12, 10am-noon.
Group 2: Library literacy coordinators and staff
- Wednesdays, November 4 and 18, 9am-11am
Group 3: Small and/or rural libraries
- Wednesdays, November 4 and 18, 1pm-3pm
Group 4: Medium and/or suburban libraries
- Thursdays, November 5 and 19, 9am-11am
Group 5: Large and/or urban libraries
- Thursdays, November 5 and 19, 1pm-3pm
Questions? Please contact Christine Bolivar: firstname.lastname@example.org