- This event has passed.
The Gentle Art of Persuasion
Thursday, April 28 @ 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
This event is now full. Please subscribe to CALL Letters to find out about any future sessions being offered.
CALL is offering two options for this full-day class: Thursday, April 28, or Friday, April 29.
Please be prepared for a full-day class, which meets 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. PST with a one-hour lunch break.
This full-day class, customized for library staff, is designed to:
- support staff in addressing and de-escalating conflict,
- keep staff members safe, and
- help staff be more professional in stressful situations.
The course is presented by the Verbal Judo Institute.
What is Verbal Judo? It literally means “The Verbal Gentle Way.” Billed as an effective program to de-escalate and persuade patrons into voluntary compliance, the course aims at leaving people better than we found them at their worst. The training centers around five universal truths , the first being, “All people want to be treated with dignity and respect.”
The program addresses the challenges library staff experience with patrons:
- influences – drugs & alcohol
- inappropriate pet behavior
- damaged media, overdue fines
- inappropriate internet use
- challenges to collections
- houselessness, mental health challenges
CALL EXCLUSIVE (for California public libraries only)