- This event has passed.
Using OBS Studio to Create Live and Recorded Youth Programs
Tuesday, October 12, 2021
October 12 – November 1, 2021
If you have you ever wanted to create professional looking live streams that are interactive and engaging, then OBS Studio might be the right tool for you.
OBS Studio is a free and open-source software for live streaming and recording. It allows you to have better control over what your audience sees and hears during your live programs. Often used for gaming streams, OBS Studio also gives you more control over the overall look of your livestream. For example: you can add lyrics to your storytimes, have multiple people on screen, share your desktop and make it easier to interact with your audience.
This 3-week course will help you get comfortable using OBS Studio and even show examples of how libraries are already using it for virtual youth programs. We will focus on the basics and specifically on how you can use it to create interactive live programs for youth.
Whether it is just improving your live storytimes or creating more live programs for teens, this course will help you better understand livestream content. While you do not need to a tech wizard, this course is recommended for individuals who are comfortable with technology.
By the end of the course learners will be able to:
- Learn the basics of OBS Studio such as creating scenes, using sources and the different ways it could be used for virtual youth programming.
- Learn to troubleshoot some common livestream issues
- Use OBS studio to manage live streaming storytimes on Facebook and/or Youtube
- Create Live Storytimes that are interactive and playful.
- Learn how to record videos in OBS Studio.
- Learn about programs that can be done using OBS Studio such livestreaming books clubs, online storytimes, and teen programs.
- Record an online storytime using OBS Studio.
- Learn different ways to make backgrounds, lyric screens using Canva
- Learn some best practices for live programs and how to interact with your audience
- Create an outline for a virtual program that could be done using OBS Studio
Course Description: This Three-week course will include two 60-minute interactive online sessions:
- Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 2pm Pacific/ 3pm Mountain/ 4pm Central/ 5pm Eastern
- Thursday, October 21, 2021 at 2pm Pacific/ 3pm Mountain/ 4pm Central/ 5pm Eastern
Please make every effort to ensure that you are able to attend these two meetings before enrolling in the course. If this is not possible, archived recordings will be made available.
In addition to the scheduled sessions, the instructor will provide resources, best practices, and useful tips and techniques that can be used for live virtual programming for youth. During the course, you will practice several of the techniques covered in the course through assignments. Through assignments, you will apply the concepts to your own institution and its existing virtual programs. You will also learn of graphic and design programs that can improve your current virtual offerings.