- This event has passed.
You Served, You Earned: Helping Veterans Learn about and Use the Benefits They Earned
Thursday, April 28 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Fundamentals: Thursday, April 28, 2022: noon to 1:30 p.m.(PDT)
(Note: This is the second webinar. The first webinar is Essentials: Thursday, April 21, 2022: noon to 1:30 p.m. (PDT). You can choose to attend one or both webinars at the same registration link above)
Three team members from the California Department of Veteran Affairs (CalVet) bring their cumulative years of experience connecting Veterans to their earned benefits.
In 2017 it was estimated that 49% of all Veterans used at least one Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefit. That leaves over 50% who are not using any of the many earned VA and CalVet benefits. Why is that? There are a number of reasons, but a key reason is that Veterans do not know about their benefits, or how to sign up for them. Many Veterans and their family members have earned (but unused) benefits which would help improve their lives including health, housing, education, and employment.
At the end of these webinars, participants will:
• Understand CalVet’s comprehensive online learning academy (CalTAP) for those assisting Veterans and Veterans family members.
• Understand how CalVet’s LINCs (Local interagency Network Coordinators) can assist libraries.
• Learn about cultural competency needed to assist Veterans.
• Know the most commonly asked questions by Veterans and their family members and where to find the answers.
• Be able to answer the most commonly asked questions, even when the Veteran or Veteran family member posing the question isn’t quite sure what to ask.
• Understand the four pillars of service: health, housing, education, and employment.
• Be able to refer Veterans and their family members to the right Federal, California, and/or local resources so Veterans can obtain and use their earned benefits.
California has more Veterans than any other state. These workshops are an opportunity for you, staff, and VA Work-Study to learn about State and Federal resources and benefits for California Veterans. These workshops are funded by CALL and will be recorded and available through CALL Academy.